Though silt fences are designed to protect the environment, they can be used in several ways:
• Use silt fences along the perimeter of any site.
• Install them around any erodible areas, including down slope or below a disturbed area.
• Use them along streams and channels.
• Use them for temporary projects, such as stockpiles or spoiled areas.
• Erect them below small cleared areas.
• Ensure silt never leaves the construction site.
• Protect local streams and water supplies.
• Create an effective and essential physical barrier.